Week of   « Prev | Next »

10 articles


Deluxe to close doors on Australian film lab as "the industry has moved on"

3 April 2013 11:13 PM, PDT

Deluxe has announced it will close the doors to its Australian film laboratory on April 19, losing four employees in the process.

The decision comes less than two weeks after Peter Jackson.s famous Park Road film laboratory announced plans to discontinue business this coming June..

Managing director of Deluxe Australia Alaric McCausland described the announcement as being a .very sad day for us. and a .long, thought-through decision...

McCausland said, regrettable as the decision was, it was .a reflection of what has been happening over the past few years..

.The move to digital has been a global trend and Australia is not immune to that. It.s a transition that has been happening in various part of the film business for the past ten years and a reflection of preferred format of cinematographers the world over..

.The industry has moved on...

McCausland confirmed Deluxe was forced to discontinue the employment »

- Emily Blatchford

Permalink | Report a problem


Deluxe to close doors on Australian film laboratory as "the industry has moved o

3 April 2013 11:13 PM, PDT

Deluxe has announced it will close the doors to its Australian film laboratory on April 19, losing four employees in the process.

The decision comes less than two weeks after Peter Jackson.s famous Park Road film laboratory announced plans to discontinue business this coming June..

Managing director of Deluxe Australia Alaric McCausland described the announcement as being a .very sad day for us. and a .long, thought-through decision...

McCausland said, regrettable as the decision was, it was .a reflection of what has been happening over the past few years..

.The move to digital has been a global trend and Australia is not immune to that. It.s a transition that has been happening in various part of the film business for the past ten years and a reflection of preferred format of cinematographers the world over..

.The industry has moved on...

McCausland confirmed Deluxe was forced to discontinue the employment »

- Emily Blatchford

Permalink | Report a problem


Ten announces release of Offspring app

3 April 2013 10:56 PM, PDT

Network Ten has capitalised on the success of drama series Offspring by releasing a corresponding app entitled Offspring: Moving In. The free app, announced today, will provide fans with puzzles, exclusive scenes and information about a character yet to appear on the show. Network Ten.s Chief Digital Officer, Rebekah Horne, said: .Offspring fans have received exclusive content ahead of on-air broadcast throughout the entire series. This year, we are delighted to reward fans with something innovative ahead of the launch of Series Four.. The decision to create the app reflects an industry-wide evolution toward multi-platform content. Horne said Offspring had already enjoyed strong audience engagement through their social media sites and the network wanted to enhance that level of communication.

.Offspring.s social extensions are hugely popular, with audiences increasingly engaged from series to series. The addition of Offspring: Moving In should deepen the level of engagement with Ten.s hit Australian drama, »

- Emily Blatchford

Permalink | Report a problem


Game On: enhancing a screen production over multiple platforms

3 April 2013 9:37 PM, PDT

It is no secret the screen industry is rapidly evolving to embrace more and more platforms. The ultimate film experience is no longer confined just to the big screen; but has extended into numerous apps, games, webisodes, e-books, social media platforms and even real-life missions.

It.s a process we have seen grow rapidly and successfully in the Australian industry the last few years; so much so, last November Arts Minister Simon Crean announced $20 million in funding to create an Australian Interactive Games Fund..

The ever-evolving nature of the industry has meant these additional elements, once seen as separate entities, can now be used to direct traffic to the film.s website, attract new markets or drum up interest in a movie before its release. However, the traditional method thus far has seen these platforms treated as .extras. that support the main star . the film itself..

Feature film producer Keith Sweitzer and Christopher Ferriter, »

- Emily Blatchford

Permalink | Report a problem


A Current Affair in hot water after Acma picks holes in Neil Brooks story

3 April 2013 9:20 PM, PDT

Channel Nine.s A Current Affair is under fire from the Australian Communications and Media Authority after the organisation found the program to have breached provisions on factual accuracy, privacy and complaints handling.

The story in question, presented by reporter Amanda Paterson in March last year and running over 19 minutes, concerned former Olympic gold medallist Neil Brooks and his wife.

Acma.s 32-page investigation report, released today, found that .the program had insufficient evidence to support its claim during a 5 March, 2012 broadcast that police in Australia, the United States and France were investigating allegations of fraud against the former swimmer and his wife...

The Acma also found the program had breached the privacy of Brooks. wife by showing her driver.s licence and French address on camera and that the program had failed to adequately respond to the complaints of Brooks after the segment went to air..

However there were »

- Emily Blatchford

Permalink | Report a problem


Hoyts Distribution renamed Studiocanal in Australia and New Zealand

2 April 2013 3:25 PM, PDT

Hoyts Distribution in Australia and New Zealand has been renamed Studiocanal. The re-branding, effective yesterday, comes after the French production house and distribution company acquired Hoyts Distribution in July last year. The decision was made in order to provide clarity to the international market and strengthen Studiocanal.s positioning worldwide. Studiocanal Chairman and CEO Olivier Courson said, .The company is fully integrated and despite the long distance, our collaboration is doing great. Having a single name is important for us but also for our partners around the world.. Robert Slaviero, CEO Australia/New Zealand says: .We are extremely proud and.excited to be part of such a prestigious organization and look forward to delivering.great films and great results to Australia and New Zealand.. »

- Inside Film Correspondent

Permalink | Report a problem


Foxtel commissions a second series of Tony Robinson's Time Walks

1 April 2013 11:34 PM, PDT

Foxtel has today announced the commissioning of a second series of Tony Robinson.s Time Walks, to be shot in various locations around Australia and New Zealand later this year. The first series, which aired late last year, proved to be hugely successful and is currently the second highest rating series ever on The History Channel (following the enormously popular Tony Robinson Explores Australia). In season two, the 10 x 30 minute series will once again see the Robinson as host, bringing his unique storytelling style to ten new locations: The Barossa Valley, Canberra, Parramatta, Geelong, Townsville, Kalgoorlie, Wellington, Christchurch, Alice Springs and Uluru. In a statement made to the media, Foxtel.s General Manager of Factual Channels, Jim Buchan said, .The first series of Tony Robinson.s Time Walks was a runaway success for The History Channel, redefining how relevant and accessible our brand commissions can be in delivering new untold histories to our audiences. »

- Emily Blatchford

Permalink | Report a problem


Update: Federal Govt commits $21.6m to lure 20,000 Leagues to Australia

1 April 2013 11:06 PM, PDT

The Gillard Government has today announced a one-off payment of $21.6m to attract the Walt Disney Studios film 20, 000 Leagues Under the Sea: Captain Nemo to Australia.

The project, at one stage rumoured to have Brad Pitt attached, is expected to create up to 2,000 jobs and result in significant investment in Australian businesses working on the big-budget production.

The additional funding can be likened to the one-off payment of $12.8m made to Hugh Jackman.s The Wolverine, which was filmed in New South Wales and Tokyo last year.

The Wolverine, which is due to be released in Australia on July 25, created over 1750 jobs, used over 1,000 Australian companies and generated $80 million worth of investment nationally, according to an Ausfilm statement released to the press.

.There has been renewed interest in Australia as a preferred location following the one-off grant provided by the Federal Government to The Wolverine, and the substantial benefits such a production brings, »

- Emily Blatchford

Permalink | Report a problem


Federal Govt commits to one-off payment to lure 20,000 Leagues to Australia

1 April 2013 11:06 PM, PDT

The Gillard Government has today announced a one-off payment to attract the Walt Disney Studios film 20, 000 Leagues Under the Sea to Australia.

The project, at one stage rumoured to have Brad Pitt attached, is expected to create up to 2,000 jobs and result in significant investment in Australian businesses working on the big-budget production.

The additional funding can be likened to the one-off payment made to Hugh Jackman.s The Wolverine, which was filmed in New South Wales and Tokyo last year.

The Wolverine, which is due to be released in Australia on July 25, created over 1750 jobs, used over 1,000 Australian companies and generated $80 million worth of investment nationally, according to an Ausfilm statement released to the press.

.There has been renewed interest in Australia as a preferred location following the one-off grant provided by the Federal Government to The Wolverine, and the substantial benefits such a production brings,. said Ausfilm CEO Debra Richards. »

- Emily Blatchford

Permalink | Report a problem


Adelaide the seventh region in Australia to convert to digital-only television

1 April 2013 10:41 PM, PDT

The city of Adelaide has officially made the switch to digital-only television.

In an announcement made this morning, The Minister for Broadband, Communications and the Digital Economy, Senator Stephen Conroy, confirmed over half a million Adelaide households had crossed over to digital at 9am.

.At 9am, over 560,000 households in Adelaide switched to digital-only TV, as analog signals across the Adelaide switchover region were switched off,. he said.

.I would like to thank the local broadcasters for their support and assistance and congratulate Adelaide on a very smooth transition to digital-only free-to-air TV.

.Adelaide is the seventh region in Australia to switch to digital-only free to air television, meaning Australia is well on the way to watching digital-only television by the end of this year..

Tasmania and Perth are scheduled to follow in Adelaide.s footsteps later this month, while Brisbane is due to make the switch in May.

Remote and »

- Staff writer

Permalink | Report a problem


10 articles



IMDb.com, Inc. takes no responsibility for the content or accuracy of the above news articles, Tweets, or blog posts. This content is published for the entertainment of our users only. The news articles, Tweets, and blog posts do not represent IMDb's opinions nor can we guarantee that the reporting therein is completely factual. Please visit the source responsible for the item in question to report any concerns you may have regarding content or accuracy.

See our NewsDesk partners